Archaeology & History for grades 5-9
Travel into the past with Dig as archaeologists and historians explore the mysteries of ancient civilizations. Full of exclusive scoops and photos seen nowhere else, each issue features articles about the latest archaeological discoveries, on-site reports from important digs, and special sections done in partnership with leading museums. Features like “Ask Dr. Dig” and “Awesome Art” invite questions and contributions from readers, as games, puzzles, and activities round out the fun. 36 pp
In addition to robust nonfiction articles, here is a sampling of the regular features you`ll find in each issue of DIG magazine for grades 5-9:
- Did You Know?: Quick fact related to archaeology and issue`s theme
- Five Facts: From wacky to humorous to stimulating – and all related to the theme
- Ask Dr. Dig: Answers questions submitted by readers
- Stones and Bones: Brief entries focusing on recent finds
- Joke: Quick – and funny
- The Adventures of Dr. Dig: A cartoon feature that introduces readers to Dr. Dig in the field
- What’s This?: Back cover feature that asks readers to identify an artifact
- Resources: Variety of resources designed to encourage delving into archaeology
- Numbers: Two facts that tell of uncovered finds – how many, how old, how big, and the like
- On the Web: Variety of Web sites that will broaden readers` understanding of theme
- Artifacts: Features an uncovered find (often a piece of art) and several facts about it
- DIG Stuff: Publishes readers’ comments, sometimes with art
- Awesome Art: Publishes readers’ art
- Activities: Engaging, interesting, and mentally stimulating ways to review material in the issue
“What a fantastic resource and educational tool – I only wish I had the opportunity to read DIGTM in my childhood days.” – March Hilveda, President, Into Archaeology
Look inside Dig.
Digital Magazine Bundles
Affordable digital bundles allow up to 25 students at once to access web-based, interactive editions. Log in at newsstand.cricketmag.com for online access or load onto your device. Bonus – 1 year print subscription included.
Choose Subscription Type (above)
1 year print + 10 web-based for $43.95 Just $4.39 per student.
1 year print + 25 web-based for $58.95 Just $2.35 per student – our best price!
2013-2014 School Year
September 2013: Music
October 2013: Greek Vases
November/December 2013: Fossil Penguins
January 2014: Egypt’s Middle Kingdom
February 2014: Experimental Archaeology
March 2014: Angkor Wat
April 2014: Paris Through Time
May/June 2014: Underwater Archaeology
July/August 2014: Green Archaeology
2014-2015 School Year
September: Egypt’s Mummies
October: Magic and Witchcraft
November/December: Tales of the Ancient Greeks
January: Travels with the Vikings
February: Backyard Archaeology
March: City Through Time—New York
April: Celebrating St. Augustine – America’s Oldest City
May/June: Extreme Archaeology
July/August: Reconstructing a Dinosaur
Detailed teacher’s guides reduce prep time and ensure student learning. Include vocabulary, literacy strategies, discussion questions, in-class projects, and extension activities.
Site for Kids
www.digonsite.com Dig subscribers are encouraged to submit questions, their own digging experiences, and Awesome Art contributions. They can also test their Archaeology IQ with quizzes, get their “dig” questions answered by Dr. Dig – a real archaeologist! – and access a list of resources for even more archaeological fun.